Mind Equals Blown

Mind Equals Blown

Tyler Carter, Hance Alligood comment on new Woe, Is Me song, “Vengeance”

When Woe, Is Me announced Hance Alligood as their new vocalist, the band released snippets of their then-upcoming track “Vengeance.” Former singer Tyler Carter responded shortly after, noting that some of the melodies and lyrics in the new song were his own.

With the full song now available, some questions have arisen as to who wrote what. Both Alligood and Carter reached out to Mind Equals Blown to offer explanations.

From Hance:

“Tyler wrote one line in this entire song – and that is the first line of the chorus. He had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the writing of any lyrics or melodies.”

When questioned about Alligood’s remark, Carter had the following to say:

“It really doesn’t matter to me honestly, I wrote parts when I was in Woe, Is Me so it was written for them. Therefore I contributed and it was used, no harm. Although I started writing it to ensue the fact that we were making an impact on following dreams and being real the way other bands weren’t and seeing how they turned the song completely around to punch at me was a little disappointing. Full of angst and anger, and that’s only a negativity impact if you ask me. Not the type of impact I wished to give people as a musician. Not the kind of difference I wished to make in the world… very sad. I will say I wrote ‘In one day I’ll probably make more of an impact than you’ll ever fake’ with melodies. But don’t sweat it.”

It’s a bit tragic to see everything go down this way. Woe, Is Me owes a great gratitude to Carter for his services, and Carter’s career was springboarded by the huge audience Woe exposed him to; neither party would be as musically relevant today without the other. No matter the attitudes, big things are expected from both Woe and Tyler’s new material.

Comments

• I like the sincerity from Tyler when he explained his part in the song and what the song meant to him.

• Yeah man, Tyler sounds like a positive, honest, good, dude.

• I respect Tyler and his response. I liked his vocals and how he’s honest about why he left. It’s sad that the band responded this way, but man is that song GOOD!

• I really do respect Tyler and what he is pursuing and all that. My only problem with his is the way he handled leaving the band. Most of the members found out by the official AP article. Others via an email. Of course they’re going to be pissed. I hope that they don’t let this anger consume the whole album though.

• I like Tyler more than Hance but I can understand why Woe is mad at Tyler. He was the face of W,IM and he just left. I hate to see the band like this..

• Who cares? This band is doing what they love. And it’s fucking amazing

• I understand why Woe, Is Me is pissed at Tyler Carter. The least Tyler could’ve done was tell W,IM that he was leaving the band instead of them finding out the way that they did. I also, don’t like how while they were at Warped Tour and it was raining and Tyler Carter rudely ran to W,IM’s tour bus instead of staying to meet the fans. Tyler Carter is a good singer but one thing that will help his career flourish is a shot of humility. I like Hance better because he’s always down to talk to his fans and take pictures. He’s not stuck up and arrogant.

• Honestly, I was really upset when Tyler left Woe, and I would understand why the members were angry, but he must’ve had his own logical explanation. Aside from the previous tension, I’m happy with the way Woe, Is Me has progressed. They sound amazing. And I’m extremely happy with the turnout of Issues. Tyler carter is still amazing, but now he carries his own new sound. Much respect to Hance and Tyler!