Mind Equals Blown is back! Like many of your favorite bands, we’ve been on an unofficial “hiatus” throughout 2019, but that break is over, and we’re back in the swing of things again. This time, we have a fresh content strategy, a handful of new staffers, and some new energy that will take us to bigger heights. Whether you’re new to the site, or you’ve hung around for a while, we’re excited to have you with us during this new phase of the site.
What We’ll Be Covering for You
We’ve simplified our categories, making it easier to keep up on the music pop culture that you love most. In the past, we had organized our content by the type of content: reviews, interviews, editorials, etc. Now, we’re organizing it by topic: either music or film. We’re still giving photos their own tab, because they’re such a special part of our site, and deserve to shine on their own. Learn more about our new category setup:
- Music: Our staff loves all genres of music. Whether its your mom’s favorite top 40 jam, or the underground’s finest, we’ll be writing about everything and everyone. We’re here to give you recommendations on our favorite tunes to jam out to — from Carly Rae Jepsen to The Wonder Years to Touché Amoré.
- Film: We’re not Roger Ebert, nor do we want to be. We will bring you insightful coverage of film to couple with our music content. We’re here to bring you thoughtful reflections on what’s playing at the theater or streaming on your laptop screen, as well as the biggest announcements from the scene itself.
- Photos: Our photographers will cover shows from coast-to-coast. Our photo work is something we’ve always prided ourselves on, and we hope to bring you even closer to your favorite artists with amazing shots and words to go along with them. We won’t simply focus on what happened at a show; we want you to know how it made us feel.
Content to Chew On
We’re here to give short and long bites of articles for you to dive into, giving you a nice variety of quick hit pieces, along with more in-depth, analytical content.
We’re introducing some recurring short-form pieces for you to watch out for each week.
- Fast Five: Every Monday, we’ll offer a recap of the previous New Music Friday. This will give us the weekend to collect our thoughts and deliver five surefire albums to check out. The Fast Five will cover all genres, all scenes, and all labels (even independent artists!). Music nuts: there won’t be a better way to kick off your work week.
- Rank ‘Em: We love ranking things, something you probably already know if you followed our Top 40 Albums lists. But we’re pumping this up into a more frequent ranking style: Rank ‘Em. We’ll cut the rankings from 40 items down to a handful, providing you the essentials — whether it’s ranking Quentin Tarantino’s filmography, can’t-miss Lollapalooza acts, or up-and-coming hardcore bands.
- 3 of the Week: Last but not least, 3 of the Week is making a comeback. We loved doing these articles in the past and didn’t want it to stop. What’s more fun than picking three songs with a theme? The options are endless (as we learned when we found three contemporary renditions of “Can’t Help Falling in Love”). You can be sure to find us pushing ourselves creatively to come up with the most fun and interesting trios of songs imaginable.
We’ll also be providing short reflections and reactions to what’s going on in pop culture, both in music and film. Hear our writers’ thoughts on breaking news, surprise announcements, impressive milestones, and more.
With our long-form content, we’ll be providing more analytical coverage as well. Follow our in-depth coverage of artists, events, albums, and more, backed by interviews, thorough research, and our writers’ savvy way of putting the pieces together. Our goal is to shine a light on the most overlooked and underrated corners of the alternative/indie realm.
How to Keep Up with Us
Many of the same writers and photographers are returning to provide their expertise and insights on music and film. But we have plenty of new staffers to round out our group of talented content creators. Our new leadership includes three familiar faces: Tim Dodderidge and Adit Ahmed as our editors-in-chief, as well as Katie Rich as our photo editor. Give all of our staffers a chance — you’re sure to find someone who reflects your pop culture interests!
Before we go and let you explore the revamped site, we’d like to remind you to follow us on Facebook and Instagram. It’s the best way to keep up on new posts on the site, as well as the top shots from our photographers. We also suggest bookmarking Mind Equals Blown in your browser, so you can easily get to us for your regular content consumption (we’ll be posting fresh content on the daily!).
If you’re reading this article, thanks for checking us out. If you’re interested in joining our team, then feel free to send us a note below to see how you can become part of our new era here on the site. We hope you’ll be part of our community of pop culture nerds moving forward!