Editorials 116

Jonny Craig’s Great $8000-$12,800 Swindle: The Story

Jonny Craig - Promo

By Garry Lee. Additional reporting by Jack Appleby and Sebastian Fonseca.

UPDATE #5: Emarosa cancelled their show tonight in Buffalo, NY on February 26th without any statement being released as to why. Here is a poster that is being displayed at the gig confirming this rumour. Fans at the gig have tweeted confirming this (@LostInLuna, @EmilyEatsFace, @holdyourbreath), and while there had been no announcement at the gig detailing why the band are unable to appear tonight, fans from the show believe that the band are no longer playing because “apparently Jonny took off to California”. More on this when it happens.

UPDATE #4: We have an exclusive MindEqualsBlown.net interview with bandmate Jon Mess of Dance Gavin Dance on the Jonny Craig situation. Click here for the interview!

UPDATE #3: Dance Gavin Dance bassist Eric Lodge releases a statement to urge fans to direct their emotions towards Jonny, and not the bands he is a member of:

• ericjlodge at 5:13 pm: “I’m writing this as a reaction/personal outlet to Jonny’s most recent actions. They strike me as disappointing, but in no way surprising. Selfish individuals often do egomaniacal things. In my opinion, this is consistent with his repertoire. However, in previous instances such selfishness didn’t come at the expense of his faithful fans. I plainly wanted everyone reading this to know that he acted as an individual, and this has nothing to do with any other members of DGD or even Emarosa. Many of you have every right to be angry. I wrote this with no intensions of defending Jonny; instead I would simply like those who are angry to understand the rightful direction of their emotion. As for any advice for Jonny… In the words of Elton John, “the bulldog is barking in the backyard.

UPDATE #2: More of Jonny’s friends have begun weighing in on the situation via Twitter.  Craig Owens and Nick Martin of D.R.U.G.S. and Isles & Glaciers both have tweeted recently.

All three have been contacted for interviews.

UPDATE #1: I have so far received 16 reports from fans scammed by Jonny Craig, putting the total somewhere between a minimum of $8000 and a maximum of $12,800 based on the prices quoted in his tweets. We have been sent a range of pictures of Western Union e-mail confirmations, moneygram transfer receipts, text message conversations about transactions with his confirmed 504 phone number and e-mail exchanges about transactions with his confirmed istillfeelher e-mail address.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE: The internet has come alive with the news that the disgraced Jonny Craig, lead singer of Emarosa and Dance Gavin Dance, has been scamming his own fans out of an alleged (and somewhat confirmed by our own investigating) $8000-$12,800 under the guise of selling black MacBooks on his personal Twitter account. Due to the sheer amount of rumours being spread about the situation, we at Mind Equals Blown decided to do some digging and bring you what we believe to be the real truth on the story. Prepare for what we are calling the Great $8000-$12,800 Swindle.

Jonny has of course denied any allegations that he has done anything wrong and believes that, somewhere over the two months of Twitter messages he sent advertising the black MacBook for sale, his account had been hacked. The story begins slightly before this though, with a person who was scammed before he started to advertise the sale of the MacBook in question. Since she intends to press charges against Jonny, we can only identify her as Stacey.

On September 2nd 2010, Jonny posted on his Twitter account that he was selling an autographed microphone that he had used at a show. As something of a romantic gesture, Stacey made a deal with Jonny to buy it for $300 as an anniversary present for her boyfriend. Jonny agreed on the price but only on the condition that he received the money the next day before noon. Stacey then transferred the money via Western Union, and did not, and has still not received the microphone.

Jonny kept in touch with Stacey and even met her and her boyfriend after a show on October 31st in their hometown with promises that he would pay her back after signing her boyfriend’s magazine. Stacey didn’t hear from Jonny again until January 9th 2011 when she began to fill out court papers to take legal action against him. He told her that he was selling his laptop that he had tweeted about buying on January 6th in order to pay her back. He insisted he wasn’t trying to scam her and that “he was selling everything he owns to pay her back.”

The number that she used to contact Jonny matches up to all of the other personal accounts from the people scammed that we have received, and it matches a tweet made by Jonny himself in 2010 that he posted in an attempt to buy drugs. His addiction to heroin was covered in an e-mail I received from a former fan called Brittany who confirmed that he also uses oxycontin and cocaine, and that he has previously texted her from said phone number asking for the aforementioned drugs whenever he happens to be in town. Brittany had previously met Jonny and said of him that “he really is crazy”, “he has something messed up in his head” and that “he needs help”. The business on Twitter surrounding his alleged 859 number has turned out to be untrue, and the number he used both to score drugs and to contact the buyers of MacBooks has since been disconnected; his close friend Mod Sun confirmed this on Twitter.

Going back to Stacey’s story, Jonny called her on said number around the time of her beginning to file court papers to confirm that he was about to receive a cheque for $5000. Rather conveniently, this is pretty much the same amount of money ($4950) that the Facebook group Jonny Craig Twitter Scam is claiming has been scammed out of his loving, gullible fans.

The story that I have now heard from multiple people is that Jonny would post an ad on his Twitter account claiming to be selling a black MacBook for a figure of around $600800. On agreeing the sum of money with the fan eager to receive a bargain and a rare opportunity to deal with the singer of one of their favourite bands, Jonny would request that the person use a wire transfer (typically Western Union) because he claimed that he had been “fucked” using PayPal in the past, and this way both of them would receive paperwork detailing the transfer.

With Western Union, you need ID to both send and receive money, so the claims from Jonny that someone else was scamming these people through his account rings slightly hollow unless someone else has the ID to collect money sent to Jonathan Monroe Craig in his hometown and state.

So far, of the people we have spoken to directly, the amount accounted for is somewhere in the region of $4000, but of the currently 24 members of that Facebook group and the many people on Twitter who claimed to have been subject to the same scam, we have only received contact from a handful of those people.

Jonny’s close friend Mod Sun has felt that it was necessary to say his thoughts on the matter in a series of tweets regarding his perceived involvement in the controversy. He said:

“Dear friends, so one of my very close friends Jonny Craig has recently made some very bad decisions. His actions are now being directed at me by certain people he hurt/ripped off. I am now forced to address this issue. I truly apologize if you have been taken advantage of by him….it’s very sad. I need you to understand that I have NOTHING to do w/ any of this. I mean absolutely nothing. He had someone pay pal me $ one time for his old laptop he was selling. It was transferred to me & I immediately gave him cash. This was about 35 days ago. Any point after that my account was NOT used. He continued trying to sell a MacBook for a month after that. I truly apologize for his actions because I feel bad for the people who try to support him & get hurt. I’m one of those people as well. I would never treat my friends like that. So, there it is. I have called him & let him know the severity of the situation & am tryin to help yall.”

So it seems that even those who consider Jonny to be a close friend are, at this point, feeling like they have to step up and almost speak for him. And in this case apologize on his behalf in the face of his continued denial that he has done anything wrong. As of right now, not a single person who has transferred money to Jonathan Monroe Craig has received anything in return.

If you have been scammed or have any information related to this story please e-mail garry@mindequalsblown.net and/or jackappleby@mindequalsblown.net.

You Might Also Like

116 Comments

• Sebastian Fonseca says: February 20, 2011 at 12:37 AM

The amount of detective work that was put into this is astonishing

Also I just want to reiterate that the 859 number that has been floating around the internet is not Jonny’s number

• Also Scammed says: February 20, 2011 at 12:50 AM

May I also add that I too was scammed? Before the first September date listed, I used Money Gram to transfer over a $1000 to Jonny Craig for a white Macbook Pro. He sent pictures of both he and he with the computer to confirm.
    This all took place in July of 2010, I have texts and receipts to confirm.
    It’s a very terrible place to be put into, but something needs to and will be done.

• Jillian says: February 20, 2011 at 1:01 AM

If you’ve been scammed by Jonny PLEASE step up and be willing to press charges. Don’t let this man get away with doing this to you. He is a conman and deserves to be behind bars.

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Beau , Beau , tonysantos22, RalphieBot, Mind Equals Blown and others. Mind Equals Blown said: New Article: Jonny Craig's Great $5000 Swindle at MindEqualsBlown.net http://j.mp/hzI5Mo – @punknews @apnetnews @punktastic @drownedinsound […]

• J says: February 20, 2011 at 1:17 AM

This guy is a douche and deserves jail time. Everyone please step up and report him.

• CP Digital Darkroom – Jonny Craig Macbook Scam says: February 20, 2011 at 2:06 AM

[…] their own fans for money when they are in two succesful bands. To read the entire story go here Mind Equals Blown Jonny Craig Macbook Scam Since I know I probably won't see that money again, I found an ingenious way to make it back. I […]

• herefart says: February 20, 2011 at 7:58 AM

also scammed, prove it. Post the pics he sent you. Or, ‘did you delete them’?

• Garry Lee says: February 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM

For everyone claiming to have also been scammed but not included in this article, please get in touch with me at glee18@caledonian.ac.uk. Thank you for your support.

• Lauren says: February 20, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I knew he was always trying to get donations from fans for the ring for his wife that he lost (maybe didn’t actually lose?). And he’s always asking for drug connects at every new venue they play, but I didn’t realize he had such a bad drug problem. Well shit.

Good detective work, guys!

• wotyougot « Noise That Keeps Me Awake says: February 20, 2011 at 9:46 AM

[…] he-front-man the JONNY CRAIG has been scamming his own fans out of an alleged $5000 under the guise of selling black MacBooks on his personal Twitter […]

• roger says: February 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Fuck that guy. He chose to scam, he chose to scram away from my itunes.

• David D Davidson says: February 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Wow.. to comment #2,

There isn’t even such thing as a white mac book pro.
    So gullible.

That said, this guy is also a fucking douche.

• YoDavid says: February 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Hey David, are you saying this doesn’t exist?

• Matt Hambrick says: February 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM

@YoDavid All of those macbook pros are silver, jackass.

• LOl says: February 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Guys just stick to listening to a real front man who truly cares about his fans…Anthony Green

• curbsideaudio says: February 20, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I’m not sure why my comment was deleted, but please, if you’ve been scammed, email me @ curbsideaudioblog@gmail.com Let’s get this son of a bitch.

• David D Davidson says: February 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

@ Yo David.

Exactly. a WHITE macbook PRO is nonexistent.
    There is no such thing

• Rob says: February 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Isn’t it possible that the person either just called the silver macbook white, or he advertised it as white but it was silver?

• Kevin says: February 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM

My band played with Emarosa a while ago and he gave us the 504 number to call him on and we did speak with him over the phone so… what a douche.

• kevin says: February 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Does anyone remember those Ghost Runner cds he was selling on twitter? He said he had like 60 copies or something and was just taking donations. It seemed shady but it didn’t seem like something he would lie about. Anyway, I never got that cd nor did three other people I know. I will never support anything he does anymore.

• […] Credit to Indiestar.tv and Image Credit to Mind Equals Blown […]

• […] to original publication at MindEqualsBlown.net: click here. This entry was posted on Sunday, February 20th, 2011 at 9:24 am and posted in Editorials, […]

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Christian Q, Christian Q and Christian Q, Christian Q. Christian Q said: @KFitzgerald3 http://mindequalsblown.net/2011/02/jonny-craig%E2%80%99s-great-5000-swindle-the-story/comment-page-1/#comment-6676 […]

• Dylan Powell says: February 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Horrible horrible horrbile. Can\’t say I\’m at all surprised though. What a scumbag. I hope the best for anyone unfortunate enough to have been swindled by the top douche of the scene.

• Anonymous says: February 20, 2011 at 11:42 PM

The actions of Jonny are those of an addict. I know it’s hard to separate the person from the action, but with the kind of drugs he’s (allegedly) doing, he literally can’t help continuing his habit by any ways and means necessary. I’m not defending what he’s doing, but for those who truly call themselves fans–especially those who were victims of a crime–an appropriate course of action would be to request the prosecuting attorney to refer him to a drug treatment program.

• Laurel says: February 20, 2011 at 11:55 PM

This honestly makes me sad, considering i really appreciate this guy’s music and talent.

But like so many great people, he too has problems, and i hope he learns from this mistake, and does something to make up for it.

• 607mikey says: February 21, 2011 at 1:06 AM

I paid this dude for a Ghost Runner CD ages ago and never received it. Unfortunately for him, my friends and I have tickets to see Emarosa in Buffalo this Saturday. I don’t like getting money stolen from me.

• Ijeoma says: February 21, 2011 at 1:38 AM

@607mickey if he’s even there, please don’t do anything stupid. I sound like a guidance counselor but it really really isn’t worth it

• cirq says: February 21, 2011 at 2:08 AM

get it in 607

• BuiltTHRUStruggle33 says: February 21, 2011 at 3:57 AM

JC has had drug problems that date back to 08′ and as many people have already stated,yeah these are traits of an addict.he most deff. Used his rockstar status to take advantage of very dedicated and trusting fans and he will most certainly continue to deny his involvement in these crimes until he is literally faced with no choice,or he may never actually admit to it,that’s the kind of guy he is.he is selfish,he’s manipulative,he’s only going to be that “chill ,seemingly cool dude” that a few of you have seen when you met in said state,but that’s not without him making sure he benefits from it in some way.its funny because the same kids that brought me to listen to him and introduce me to him, are the same pieces of shit that stabbed each other and me in the back for money that went to drugs.That’s the only reason we met JC,because he wanted drugs and saw an easy way to get it for free.He is by no means a good person and will get what’s coming to him.he’s had it coming for a while. @

• sam says: February 21, 2011 at 5:21 AM

what an absolute LAD!
    Not a massive fan of either Emarosa or DGD,but this guy is a fucking legend, he does not give one single flying fuck!

• Randy says: February 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM

apple.com/macbook/design.html

when i go to apple.com/macbook white ones show for me, and also /design.html

• Cblock6 says: February 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Jonny’s career is officially f’ed. It’s all over after DTBM2. All of it; DGD, Emarosa, his solo projects. It’s done. Finished. I would say I feel sorry for people but that is what happens when you trust a drug addict.

• Juan says: February 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Yo Mike607, i’m from buffalo and going to that show too…lets get jiggy!

• AL says: February 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM

i’m not saying what he’s done is less than awful, but why would people buy laptops and stuff from a guy? there are stores everywhere..

• Ethan says: February 21, 2011 at 1:13 PM

@#29

Because he was selling them for $600-$800, which is almost half price of a new one.

• Lynn says: February 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM

It is such a sad thing to see someone with such talent lower themselves to such a level. My boyfriend loved his work and introduced me to his music. It’s just a shame to see what can happen with an ego and an alleged drug problem. I’ve never understood how someone could take advantage of people, so many people who cared and supported you. Not only has he effected his career, but more than likely the people also involved with DGD, Emarosa ect. I do enjoy his music but from now on when I listen, I will have a bitter taste in my mouth for this young man. I hope things will be straightened out for everyone involved and he will receive the help he needs. Everything happens for a reason and everything will fall into place.

Has anyone else from the bands commented or said anything?
    He’s actually showing up to shows right now with all this going on?

• lunchbox says: February 21, 2011 at 1:48 PM

@AL

• ERROR! ERROR! » says: February 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM

[…] February 2011 In navolging op het absurde verhaal van Jonny Craig(Emarosa, Dance Gavin Dance) staat Twitter nu vol met hilarische varianten op de […]

• 3333 says: February 21, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Can’t wait to punch this arrogant fucker in the face when he comes to my city in a few weeks.

• Peteskeetskeet says: February 21, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I’m not defending him at all, but you guy’s should have known not to trust this asshole judging by his past problems with DGD.

But he definitely deserves everything that is going to happen to him.

• Jonny Craig Running An Internet Scam? says: February 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM

[…] that he had a laptop for sale for typically between $600 and $800 (example here). According to this report, at least 16 fans contacted Craig and sent him money for a MacBook, and none of them ever received […]

• agree says: February 21, 2011 at 7:57 PM

@lunchbox, goooooood point
    how do you know new ebay users/craigslist users aren’t druggies who’d screw you over?
    “Are you really asking why people would buy something off a random guy? ONE. craigslist. TWO. ebay. THREE. he is the singer of these peoples favorite bands, of course they arent going to think they are gonna get ripped off.” <—POINT MADE

• just sayin says: February 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I can appreciate you trying to tie all the pieces together but you really need to add in a few more “allegedlies” so you don’t get nailed for libel. Scummy as it is, and as much as it all seems to be true, he has not been convicted of any wrong doing yet.

• whataFAG says: February 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM

SO WHY DOESN’T EVERYONE KICK THE SHIT AT HIM AT A SHOW?

• whataFAG says: February 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM

KICK THE SHIT OUT OF HIM*

• Derp says: February 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM

It’s your own faults. Don’t buy a labtop from some random guy, even if it IS Jonny Craig. Duh. That’s just common sense.

And you know what, IDC. I still love him. Yeah. I said it motherfuckers.

• mlek8 says: February 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM

How can the man keep accepting funds in Kentucky when he\’s on tour? Also, his name is misspelled on the Western Union form. \”Jonathon\” can\’t pick up a Western Union Money Transfer to \”Jonathan.\” I\’m not saying I believe he is innocent, nor am I saying he is guilty. All the \”evidence\” is web-based. I know people that can hack into anyone\’s FB, Twitter, etc. Do you not think there could POSSIBLY be a JonathAn Craig that lives in KY? All I\’m saying is…you need to weigh all the options before you jump on the bandwagon.

• Garry Lee says: February 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM

miek8, I think you’re reading a little too much into the spelling, writing Jonathon instead of Jonathan in the article was a typo that I have now corrected.

The evidence we have is not all web-based, while we do not have the actual hard copies per se, we have photographs of receipts and some people who have been scammed are still to send us their scans of receipts and such. Some of the receipts list his e-mail address and phone number which we have confirmed via repeated tweets from his own page spanning the entire year.

On the “his page being hacked” front, there are stories of laptop sales we have received spanning the time period of April 2010 to 2 weeks ago. He gave out the confirmed phone number and e-mail address to people that he had previously posted on his twitter and even met up with some of the people affected at shows, like in the story above, and acknowledged that he still owed them money.

While he has not yet been charged, I believe that there is a substantial body of evidence in our possession which strongly suggests that this is guilty of scamming his fans out of a large amount of money. Of course everything in this article is suspect, just like everything else in the entire world is suspect but really with all of this suggesting it’s true, you really have to draw the line somewhere, right? Other than that, I believe at this stage if you are still unconvinced, then there is really little else I can do to convince you.

Thanks for reading and to everyone else for their continued interest in this article.

• just sayin says: February 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM

@Garry Lee

Sooooooo have ANY of these victims contacted the police? It’s interstate fraud and would be pretty easy for them to tie it all together once the subpoena his phone records.

• 1 2 3

Share Your Thoughts With Us!